Everybody remembers collecting Blackberrys as a child and then trying to remove the thorns and splinters in the following hours, but this is one of natures greatest bountys that any one can get from the roadside or hedgerow. You can collect them from mid July through to October, So what are you waiting for , go and get em.
2kg Sugar, (caster or granulated)
- Wash the berry’s in a bucket of cold water and let stand for a few minutes to let any bugs float to the top and skim them off and drain the water.
- Put the berry’s into the largest saucepan you have (I use a stock pot) and mash with a potato masher or put them through a juicer.
- Strain through a muslin cloth into your pan and add the sugar.
- put onto a full heat till it starts bubbling, keeping an eye on it to prevent it from boiling over. and put a tea plate into the freezer.
- keep removing the scum that forms on top.
- simmer on reasonable heat to keep it boiling up but not over the pan (quite tricky) for 10 minutes.
- remove the plate from the freezer and put a teaspoon of the jam on it and tilt the plate to let the jam run, when it stops moving test it for consistency with your finger, if not yet set return the plate to the freezer and boil the jam for a for a further 5 mins and repeat the test till desired consistency is reached