Everybody remembers collecting Blackberrys as a child and then trying to remove the thorns and splinters in the following hours, but this is one of natures greatest bountys that any one can get from the roadside or hedgerow. You can collect them from mid July through to October, So what are you waiting for , go and get em.
This is similar too making Blackberry jam, just quicker
2kg Sugar, (caster or granulated)
- Wash the berry’s in a bucket of cold water and let stand for a few minutes to let any bugs float to the top and skim them off and drain the water.
- Put the berry’s into the largest saucepan you have (I use a stock pot) and mash with a potato masher or put them through a juicer.
- Strain through a muslin cloth into your pan and add the sugar.
- put onto a full heat but do not boil and stir till the sugar desolves.
- Decant into sterilized jam jars.