Serve this easy to make summery drink chilled, Its lively bubbles will quench any thirst during the summer months and goes down well with a summery salad or at the BBQ.
12ltr Boiled water.
15-20 Elderflower Heads.
1.5 kg sugar.
4 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar.
- First you will need a clean sterile bucket and into that pour 6 liters of just boiled water and cover.
- Put another 6 liters of water on the heat with your 1.5 kg of sugar and stir until all the sugar has dissolved, and poor into the bucket with the rest of the water.
- Leave to cool down to tepid
- Add the zest , juice and pulp of the four lemons along with the vinegar and flower heads.
- Squeeze the flower heads and push to the bottom of the bucket a few times.
- Cover for 24-48 hours.
- After 24 hours, check for signs of fermentation (bubbles will start to form).
- If the bubbles are there then its time to bottle up, if not then leave for a further 24 hours.
- Sterilize your bottles and decant the liquid into the bottles through sieve lined with muslin.
- Be aware that you need to use Grolsh type glass bottles with wired tops, or plastic screw top bottles that have been used for fizzy drinks.
- Keep the bottles somewhere cool dark and airy for 2 weeks.
- Pop them open and enjoy.